By now, we all know politics has played a role in virtually every single thing Congress does. Duh, right? It’s politics! Yes, but we often fell for calling it public service and many on the left still do. Some still thinkable of THEIR politicians are only up there to help out of the goodness of their hearts.
At this time in our history we need honesty, clarity, integrity, and goodness out of our politicians. Unfortunately that is something that has been in extremely short supply for quite some time. Right now it seems is no different.
Nancy Pelosi blew up the COVID-19 relief bill vote on Monday morning that looked poised to pass. She wanted her own version. Perhaps that’s why she “took a week off”. It’s starting to look like she actually took a week to plan her own bailout.
Let’s take a look at what Pelosi proposed. Remember, this is all to help our current situation, right?
The proposed bill includes:
- A re-emergence of the Obamaphone program that was pasted with corruption (virtually no accountability for where the money went or was used)
- Seeks to wipe out debt of the United States Postal Service
- Student loan bailout to the tune of $10k for each person - essentially a bailout for the colleges that are overcharging their students instead of fixing that problem.
- Carbon emission mandates for airlines
- $300 million to refugees living OVERSEAS
- $35 million to the JFK Center for Performing Arts - what?
- Requires absentee ballots to be mailed to EVERYONE
- Ballot harvesting - the practice of someone other than the voter deliver their ballot (see California)
- Corporate Board diversity requirements
- Racial and Gender pay provisions
- Same day voter registration - imagine how this would be checked AFTER an election has already taken place. Virtually no chance of reversal if found to be fraudulent
I'm not going to make a case for any of these and I'm not going to tell you they don't belong. I do, however, want you to ask yourselves:
How does this help us through this coronavirus pandemic? How does this help our citizens who aren't working right now? How many of these are emergencies?
As the infamous Rahm Emanuel said, "Never let a crisis go to waste".